Kids’ Skills in Action Workshop
Working with children and adolescents in a Solution Focused way.
Dr Ben Furman is a Finnish psychiatrist, psychotherapist and an internationally renowned teacher of Solution Focused therapy.
8 CPD points, accredited for psychologists and counsellors. Social Worker CPD points pending.
Date: Tuesday 17 September 2019
Time: 08h00 – 17h00
Venue: Killarney Country Club, 60 5th Street, Lower Houghton, Johannesburg
GPS Co-ordinates: S26°09.136′ E028°03.239′
Price: R2 200-00
Student: R2 000-00
Discount: 10% for 5 or more attendees / 15% for 10 or more attendees
Installment payments welcome
Includes: Tea/coffee, snacks and lunch
Presenter: Dr Ben Furman (Finland)
Dr Ben Furman is a Finnish psychiatrist, psychotherapist and an internationally renowned teacher of solution-focused therapy, coaching and organizational development. He is a world leader of Solution Focused Therapy in schools and works with children and adolescents.
Kids’ Skills – a Solution Focused approach to Therapy with children to overcome their difficulties with the help of family and friends – was developed in the 90’s by Dr Ben Furman, a Finish Psychiatrist, to engage children in solving their own problems and to intensify co-operation with the children’s family and peers. Since then the method has become popular in many countries around the world.
In this workshop the pioneer of Kids’ Skills, psychiatrist Ben Furman, will take you through the 15 steps of the method. You will learn how to redefine problems and difficulties, whatever they are, as skills that children can learn and to become better at. Once the child’s problem is redefined as a skill for them to learn, the rest becomes easy. You will learn how to motivate the child, how to build on children’s own creativity, how to engage the extended family, how to turn friends into helpers, how to plan for a celebration when the child has acquired the skill and how to deal creatively with setbacks, or moments when the child forgets the skill and temporarily reverts back to the old behaviour.
Kids’ Skills is a fun and inspiring way to work with children and teenagers. The workshop will equip you with creative tools to start using the next day. It will also restore your energy and increase the enjoyment and satisfaction you get from your work.
Aims of the Workshop:
- Think about children and adolescent problems not as disturbances to be medicated but as skills to be mastered
- Help children and adolescents to design attractive projects to learn skills
- Engage the child’s or adolescents entire social network in helping him to learn missing skills
- Utilize Kids’ Skills tools such as computer programs and workbooks in your practice
Outcomes of the Workshop:
- Convert children’s problems into learnable skills
- Negotiate with children skills to learn
- Engage all significant others in the therapeutic work
- Work with children in a creative manner
- Drive pleasure from the work with children and youngsters and their families
Recommended reading list:
- Furman, B 2016: Kids skills in Action: A Solution Focused Method of coaching children to overcome difficulties: Helsinki brief therapy Institute: Helsinki Finland
- Furman, B 2012: Solution Centred growth. Helsinki brief therapy Institute: Helsinki Finland
- Furman, B 2010: Kids skills in Action: Playful and creative stories of Solution finding with children. St Luke’s Innovative resources