Webinar: Solution Focused Therapy with Teens in Lockdown: Join the Resistance
(2 CPD Points)
Date: 2 September 2020
Time: 15h00 – 17h00
Online via Zoom: A Zoom weblink will be provided. Join us from the convenience of your laptop, cellphone or tablet.
Can’t make it? You can still register, we will send you a link of the webinar recording and the short multiple choice form for your CPD points.
Presenter: Dr Jacqui von Cziffra-Bergs
Interview with: Matthew Selekman (USA) on therapy with teens
It is not easy being a teenager in 2020. Covid-19 and social isolation has been very hard for teenagers. The academic pressure of online schooling, fitting in and still liking yourself when your body is constantly changing whilst not being able to socialize with your friends is hard. Teenagers have had a very tough 2020 and are struggling to adjust. Matthew Selekman, a renowned Solution Focused Therapist and expert in working with teens, is our special guest on this webinar and will discuss creative and resourceful ideas on how to help teenagers adjust and cope. Matthew will talk about helping the teenager find their own expert inside and will share how he builds partnerships for change.
This webinar will look at creating therapeutic buy-in and collaboration. Solution Focused Therapy believes that we treat the person and not the problem and thus this webinar will give you some valuable ideas on how to treat the young person and not the presenting problem associated with being a teen. Getting to know the teenager and utilizing what the teenager is good at, likes, is interested in and aspires to is an incredible way of breaking resistance and creating collaboration. We will explore the concept of problem free talk and how we can use the best version of the teen to work towards a preferred future.
Aims of the Webinar:
- Teach the basic principles of Solution Focused Therapy
- Evaluate and change the expert stance of the therapist into collaborator
- Utilise Solution Focused questions to turn a visitor and a complainant into a customer for therapy
- Use music, drawings, cartoons, time travel and the empty chair technique to create buy in for therapy
Outcomes of the Webinar:
On completion of the webinar the participants will be able to:
- Understand the principles of the Solution Focused approach
- Be able to work with resistance
- Use problem free talk as a way to build a positive relationship with teens
- Empower teens to take control of hurtful thoughts and believe in themselves again
- Guide the therapeutic space towards goals and conversations that make an impact
Suggested Reading List:
- von Cziffra-Bergs, J: 2018 Creative Solution Building. Solution Focused Institute of South Africa. Johannesburg
- Selekman, M; 2017: Working with high risk adolescents. The Guilford Press: New York
- Selekman, M; 2010: Collaborative Brief Therapy with Children. The Guilford Press: New York