Webinar: Solution Focused Therapy and Suicide Prevention: Using Hope-Filled Language when a Client is in Despair.
(2 CPD Points)
Date: 10 June 2020
Time: 15h00 – 17h00
Online via Zoom: A Zoom weblink will be provided. Join us from the convenience of your laptop, cellphone or tablet.
Can’t make it? You can still register, we will send you a link of the webinar recording and the short multiple choice form for your CPD points.
Presenter: Dr Jacqui von Cziffra-Bergs
Interview with: John Henden (United Kingdom) on suicide prevention
Suicide is a huge problem as the world faces the Corona Virus pandemic. An unfortunate fact is that the suicide rate is rising and we all have to deal and cope with more and more clients that are feeling suicidal after losing family members, income and earning potential. It is a tragedy, especially in South Africa today that many of our clients have lost hope and lack a future vision. This short webinar is aimed at eliciting hope and helping clients find small yet visible and tangible elements of a preferred future. Solution Focused Therapy is hope catching and the philosophy, language and questions all encourage hope to enter the room.
John Henden, the leading Solution Focused specialist on Suicide Prevention, will discuss his 20-minute rule and share fantastic ideas on how to refuse to accept limiting statements and how to shift the client’s attention back to hope. My best hope for this short webinar is that the practitioner finds hope again and is empowered to handle any difficult scenario with confidence and skill.
Aims of the Webinar:
- To build rapport with clients that have given up and lost hope
- To use Hope filled language
- To ask hope generating questions
- To elicit what is important to the client
- To generate other possibilities as potential solutions.
- To feel empowered and equipped to handle difficult conversations
- To become hope givers
Outcomes of the Webinar:
- Be mindful of the questions they ask
- Be confident enough to apply Solution Focused language in their work
- Appreciate the value and importance of hope and optimism within themselves
Suggested Reading List:
- Henden, J. (2018) What it Takes to Thrive: Techniques for Severe Trauma and Stress Recovery. World Publishing
- Henden, J. (2017). Preventing Suicide: the Solution Focused Approach. Second edition. Wiley-Blackwell
- Froerer, A et al 2018: SFBT and client managing trauma. Oxford University Press: New York