Webinar: Solution Focused Therapy and Anxiety in Uncertain Times: Using metaphors when the client is stuck.
(2 CPD Points)
Date: 1 July 2020
Time: 15h00 – 17h00
Online via Zoom: A Zoom weblink will be provided. Join us from the convenience of your laptop, cellphone or tablet.
Can’t make it? You can still register, we will send you a link of the webinar recording and the short multiple choice form for your CPD points.
Late Registration: You can still register, we will send you a link for the webinar video and the short multiple choice form for your CPD points.
Presenter: Dr Jacqui von Cziffra-Bergs
Videos of: Jeffrey Zeig (Director of the Milton Erickson Institute, USA) on metaphors
Are your clients feeling caught up by anxiety or feeling so anxious it is like sinking into a sinkhole during these uncertain times? Anxiety can make a person feel bowled out or like they are constantly losing a battle. Solution Focused language is by default metaphorically inclined; take for example scaling up or down a ladder or supposing a miracle occurred or looking at your life through a different lens. Metaphors are inevitable and incredible. Metaphors carry meanings, help us understand and are maps to change.
This webinar invites you to consciously use metaphors with clients managing anxiety in a playful and creative way. When clients are “stuck” or “cannot move” or “holding onto the problem”; a Solution Focused intervention can create movement, set them free or help them grab the future. Jeffrey Zeig, Director of the Milton Erickson Institute in the USA, discusses how we can shape our questions to help the client move to the desired future by using metaphors and playful language.
Aims of the Webinar:
- Access the client’s metaphoric way of talking about anxiety
- Help the client gain distance from the problem and access ideas for solutions
- Learn a new playful language of change
- Create attention shifting language and images
Outcomes of the Webinar:
- Explore the use of metaphors about anxiety
- Use metaphors to create a different mindset and thus cope differently
- Become more playful in sessions despite anxiety
Suggested Reading List:
- von Cziffra-Bergs, J: 2018 Creative Solution Building. Solution Focused Institute of South Africa. Johannesburg
- de Shazer, S 2007: More than Miracles. Routledge: New York