Webinar: CREATING CREATIVE AND EFFECTIVE WAYS TO WORK WITH CHILDREN AND FAMILIES – Solution Focused Brief Therapy in Action
(2 CPD Points)
Guest Speaker: Dr Linda Metcalf
Date: 3 August 2022
Time: 16h00 – 18h00
Online via Zoom: Join us from the convenience of your laptop, cellphone or tablet.
Can’t make it? Register anyway, we will send you a video link of the webinar recording and you still get your CPD points.
CPD Certificate: Complete a short multiple choice Q&A Form to receive your certificate.
Presenter: Dr Jacqui von Cziffra-Bergs
Working with children and their families can be one of the most rewarding things to do and in this webinar I will be interviewing one of the most amazing Solution Focused practitioners Dr Linda Metcalf. Linda has written numerous books on Solution Focused Therapy and has taught SFBT all around the world. She is a true inspiration and a wise, kind person. As Bill o’Hanlon writes in a foreword to one of her books “listening to Linda can be like a massive injection of vitamins and minerals full of hope and solutions”. Linda believes that we need to stop spending time trying to solve problems, and rather start helping people find their own solutions and believe in themselves. Dr Metcalf believes the magic lies in asking the right questions and helping the client realize they have all the answers. One of the most important elements of helping client’s grow is searching for the exceptions; “you don’t have to do something new, just do what has worked before (Metcalf 2008). Come listen to Dr Linda talk about sparkling moments and exception finding as one of the most valuable tools in SFBT. “It is time to close the book and open our minds” and look at children and their families differently (Dr Linda Metcalf) because complex problems do not require complex solutions, we just need to find what the client wants differently.
Aims of the workshop:
- To use a non-pathological approach when working with children and families
- Help the child and family define a goal
- Understand that one person can create change
- Creating motivation
- Go slow and build skill
- Find exceptions
Outcomes of the workshop:
On completion of the workshop the participants will be able to:
- Look at children and families differently
- Help families and children define their goals
- Find exceptions to the problem
- Turn exceptions into strengths
- Empower the child to behave differently
- Create collaboration and motivation
- Metcalf, L 2008: Counselling toward Solutions. Jossey- Bass: San Francisco
- Metcalf, L 2008: The field guide to counselling to Solutions. Jossey- Bass: San Francisco